Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Obsessing Over Newspaper Blackout

I have been trying to make it a personal mission this whole semester to have a date with a newspaper and a Sharpie marker. I am not going to lie, but I have stood up my date on several occasions. Throughout the semester I have been gradually accumulating the school newspaper at my university. I have actually been reading them and then I was saving them in a folding in my car to use for this opportunity. This semester has been crazy for me. I am on the final stretch now. Maybe doing 18 hours in my last semester was a bad idea.

Anyway, I started reading more into Austin Kleon and more about Newspaper Blackout. I watched over and over again some of Kleon's videos about it. This one and this one and this one. I started to watch other videos as well. I wanted to learn about other concepts of blackout poetry. So I watched, this one and this one and this one.

So, with this in mind, I have set a personal challenge for myself. I am going to take this knowledge that I have gained over the last few sits at my computer and I am going to apply them to creating some works of my own. For a whole week (and possible beyond) I am going to do a blackout poem and I am going to share them on this blog. I will also provide a brief description of what was going on, my thoughts, and what my outside sources of inspiration were.

To set the bar a little higher for myself, I also plan to upload some of my creations to Kleon's site here. I am not claiming to be a poet, but I am looking for this to be a method to escape the madness that is occurring around me.




No comments:

Post a Comment