Sunday, November 15, 2015

The Right or Wrong Process

I have been reading a lot about writing processes and what people think is wrong and what people think it right. I know that it is going to vary from individual to individual, but I am learning that when you have a passion for a certain genre, maybe you should look into the thoughts of people that are crafting successful pieces in that area of your interest.

Image result for goosebumps movieHere lately I have been on a kick for the paranormal and for things that go bump in the night. I have also been trying to look on the more humorous point of that scale. With this in mind, I thought of R.L. Stine. I've heard a few podcasts of him talking to his fans and one recently about the movie Goosebumps that was released last month. It is an awesome movie by the way. I would suggest you check it out. You'll probably recognize a lot of the characters, especially if you read some of his books when you were younger.

Image result for R.L stine's typing fingerAnyway, I found this interesting interview with R.L. Stine and I just wanted to share it.
The interview is a little outdated, but he talks briefly about his writing process. I thought it was interesting and I want to applaud him for it. According to the interview, he sets a goal for pages rather than a word count. It seems like a good idea to me, but I couldn't image setting a number on anything. I honestly feel like numbers and writing should not be put in the same category of existence. So, R.L basically sets at his desk until he completes this goal of number of pages. I consider that to be a high level of writing discipline there. I am sure that it is a form of discipline that would take an ample amount of time to getting used to. Not only does he set this goal, but he types with one finger! Say what? With this thought in mind, I am going to propose that we all go anti-home keys on the keyboard and pick a pointing finger and peck away. I know that this sounds a little atrocious, but think about, if you are at a standstill with your work or if  you are simply just having writer's block, this might give you some of that extra fuel or a spark that can ignite you to get things moving for you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment