Monday, October 12, 2015

Newsletters

On my journey to trying to understand and to get more involved and active as a literary citizen, I have been expressed the importance of signing up for newsletters, joining groups, and trying to do whatever other means that is necessary to find and establish my tribe. With that thought in mind, not only have I recently started finding and following some of my favorite authors (Example: Anne Rice) on Twitter, but I recently signed up for Austin Kleon's weekly newsletter. 

Let me first start by saying this first email is rather entertaining. I noticed that in this email, which consisted of 10 things that he thought was worth sharing for the week, he did a lot of literary citizenship sponsorship. Even though he was sharing eventful things that he had been involved with throughout the week, but he was courteous enough to link to the people or things that he was referencing to. He not only promotes himself in #1 and #10 on the list, but he also shares. I like that. I admire that. 

Also, I feel like these newsletters are like you feeling like a fly on the wall and helps you to see what and how other people use their creativity. I mean seriously, the notebooks---the slideshows---art. 
See what I'm talking about here: https://instagram.com/p/7y29eAA1y7/

All of his linking lead me to a pretty good podcast between him and Tiffany Han. You can check it out here: http://tiffanyhan.com/austinkleon/

If you haven't signed up for his weekly newsletter, I honestly suggest that you think about doing so. 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - newsletters are great. I subscribe to some from my favorite publishers. They let me know what sort of books the publisher is putting out right now, which gives me a good feel for the market. I think these will be great references for me when I finish the book I'm working on right now. I like the image of being a fly on the wall in some of these places - I never thought of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Austin Kleon has such a fresh and simple way of explaining things. Newsletters are great because they're short enough to read quickly, but they're full of great inspiration. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm honestly so behind the pace in this crowd that I barely even have favorite authors. I want to explore the literary community and find new interests, and I plan to. Ill have to look into newsletters and see if that may be a viable starting point.

    ReplyDelete